Adventure Day Class Details
Class Days & Hours: Saturdays – 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Drop-off: Please arrive between 9:40 and 9:50 AM for sign-in. Classes begin at 10:00 AM
Pick-up: Please arrive to pick up and sign out at 3:00 PM
Sign-In and Sign-Out:
At each class students must be signed in every morning and signed out every afternoon by an adult authorized by the parent. We will check identification at pickup until we recognize you, and this ID must match the name of an authorized adult. Please make a note at sign in if your child is going home with someone else who is not previously listed as authorized. Sign in each morning and sign out each afternoon will be with your child’s instructor.
No Early Arrival or Late Pickup:
Although our staff are on site before and after sign in and after sign out, this time is used for class planning and staff debrief and is crucial to providing a great class experience for students. We know that this is challenging for working parents and appreciate your understanding.
What Your Child Should Wear:
- Weather appropriate & comfortable clothing that can get wet & dirty.
- Earth tone clothing is best for all our camps & classes – Browns, Tans, Greens, Greys
- Sturdy closed toe shoes that can get wet and dirty
- Rain gear or poncho if significant rain is in the forecast
What to Pack in your student’s Backpack:
Please pack the following items in a backpack that has two shoulder straps. They will need to carry their pack throughout the day.
- Full water bottle or hydration pack (1 liter minimum – 2 liters preferred)
- Mid-morning/afternoon snack
- Lunch (We do not allow sharing of food due to allergy risks.)
- Sun protection or Sunblock – apply before camp
- Bug repellant if desired (natural as opposed to DEET-based, is encouraged)
- Extra layer or rain gear for cold, damp weather. Synthetic or wool is better than cotton in colder/wetter months
What NOT to Pack:
- Electronic devices, games, and screen based gadgets (Mobile phones may be carried turned off inside the pack, but are not to be used during camp.)
- Excess extra clothes – an extra layer / rain gear is fine if necessary but please do not pack a change of clothes for after camp in their backpack. This is adds extra weight and bulk that tires kids out. Keep these (or a blanket or towel for your muddy child to sit on) in your car for pick up.
- Extra weight. We will be hiking some days, and heavy backpacks become a challenge for everyone. Pack only what is needed for class.
What to Expect at Adventure Days
Please arrive between 9:40 AM and 9:50 AM to sign your child in. The instructor of your child’s class will greet you at the class sign-in table. Please keep your child with you until after sign in. At that point your child will be given a camp t-shirt and a name tag, and then invited to join the rest of the group in a game or explore our hands-on nature museum. This is a good time to check in with the camp director if you have any questions or concerns. The camp director can pass along any important information to your child’s instructor once the initial arrival phase has passed.
Each morning there will be an active nature themed game that students can join as they arrive. We will also have a nature museum set out for those who prefer a quieter or more stationary activity to start off their day. This is followed by one of the staff sharing a story that introduces a general theme or focus for the day. After the story, students join their small groups we call clans for the majority of the day in order to learn all about the class they signed up for.
At adventure day classes, students are placed into small groups called clans. If you requested that your child be placed with a friend during registration, we do our best to honor that request but sometimes we are not able to meet every request. Requests for students of significantly different ages to be grouped together will not be accommodated. Typically everyone gets placed where they would like to be.
Nature Mentoring and Connection:
We use children’s natural passions in order to perform our natural flow style of teaching called “Nature Mentoring.” Our goal is not only to teach kids about nature but more importantly to help them develop better relationships with the earth, their friends, and themselves, all while having wild fun outdoors learning earth-based skills and crafts. You can learn more in the About section of our website. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you at some of our classes soon!