Natureversity Outdoor School depends on passionate and reliable volunteers to make our programs a success. Volunteers support staff instructors during programs, mentoring youth and supporting them in their personal growth and nature connection. We are looking for volunteers who want to gain experience in leadership and mentoring youth in the outdoors. We encourage volunteers from diverse backgrounds with a wide range of nature connections experiences to apply.
We currently have a variety of exciting volunteer opportunities available for all ages and skill levels. Volunteering gives individuals the opportunity to foster real relationships with nature, community and self. By helping us volunteer you will also…
- Support a holistic cause
- Experience personal growth
- Become an agent of cultural change
- Learn new skills and receive professional training
- Join an authentic community
- Have tons of fun!
Nature School Volunteers contribute as watchful eyes for our weekly nature school programs and receive one day of nature mentor training in our approach of inspiring curiosity, motivation and playfulness while in nature. These volunteers work behind the scenes setting up activities and games as well as participating in them with the kids as well as ensuring agreements are always being followed.
Summer Camp Volunteers contribute as helpers for our summer programs and receive one day of nature mentor training in our approach of inspiring curiosity, motivation and playfulness while in nature. These volunteers work behind the scenes setting up activities and games as well as participating in them with the kids.
Parent Volunteers help in all types of ways. From food preparation and activity set up to registering students in and helping pack up after camps. But fear not, parents having fun while playing games and learning during our activities is always an open.
Marketing Volunteers help get the word out about our Youth Programs by posting flyers, sending emails, making phone calls, participating in social media efforts, hosting a booth at events in the community, and generally supporting the outreach portion of The Human Path Youth Programs.
Land Steward Volunteers help keep our parks clean and tidy by clearing trails, hauling wood, removing trash from the surrounding areas and general upkeep of the school grounds. They can also contribute to gardening and other permaculture projects that our school offers.
How to Volunteer
If you’re interested in volunteering in any of the above and would like to help us by volunteering please contact us to get the application process started.
- Desire to learn and develop experience in leadership and youth mentoring
- Interest in youth development and sensitivity to participants’ life experiences and physical and emotional needs.
- Ability to take direction from camp director or lead instructor
- Must be able to comfortably carry a 10-pound backpack outdoors for at least three miles in all types of weather, potentially through uneven terrain.
- Ages 16 and up (under 16 please consider our CIT program)
- Able to pass criminal background check
Responsibilities (Training is provided)
- Attends required mentoring training (minimum of 12 hours)
- Commits to at least one full week (M-F) of summer nature camp
- Connects with individual students to ensure they are supported
- Supports instructors in managing student safety
- Supports instructors with student behavior management
- Treats participants with kindness and respect while consistently maintaining group agreements
- Respects and preserves outdoor and indoor teaching spaces for current and future users
- Embodies Natureversity Outdoor School’s Core Values
- Be willing and prepared to lead games and teach skills
- Be willing and prepared to share riddles, stories, and songs
- Be responsible for keeping count of students and taking up the back of the line
- Participate in group games and activities to motivate students
- Remain alert and aware of hazards in the environment
- Receive and incorporate feedback from lead instructor and camp director